Saturday 29 March 2014

Drawing Sound through Mark Making

We started off class by brainstorming words relating to two categories:
-Sound
-Drawing
So when we started our visual representation of sound, we had various different techniques to use to achieve the mark making of what we were hearing.




















My Drawings
These drawings were all done blindly which I actually really enjoyed as when you opened your eyes you saw something completely different to what you were seeing in your head, which showed that you often over think things.

I really enjoyed listening to the sounds made by everyones noise-makers as visually this note taking really spoke to me. I was not trying to create something that looked nice, I just really liked the sounds I could hear and they just happened to appear nicely on the page. This was my favourite drawing.

This was another favourite drawing of more sounds made by everyones noise-makers, and from this image and the above image you can see the diversity of all the different sounds made from the noise-makers, which I think is really interesting that I was able to create so many different marks just by listening.


















Collaborative 

I would say this is a collaborative piece of work as it started as my own however once we started to steal each others work it therefore became quite collaborative even though I was the only one piecing it together.
This work was also the first piece of work we drew after writing the lists of works on the board shown in the picture at the top. So I found it quite interesting finding other peoples sound interpretations as everyones was different to each others.









In this drawing we had to continuously keep our drawing media on the paper, but follow the sounds to where they were taking us which meant weaving in and out of the other people. My contribution is the black (charcoal). The thinner lines are mostly the higher sounds, the faded areas are eg. humming sound and then the dark wide areas are parts of strength / loudness.


Other Peoples Work:
The reason why I have decided to add some examples of other groups drawing is because I just found it really interesting seeing ever ones different approches to how they heard the sounds we were hearing, even the colours they chose to use were all unique as there was a huge range between groups. I was also interesting to see how they, as a group drew on a page together, whether they overlapped the sounds or separately drew them side by side.


Starting to put a composition together with Group:


Here we firstly tried to write down what we thought our sounds looked like, trying to be as simple as possible to make it easier to quickly write down a sequence of sounds. And then in the photo to the right we started to piece together a mixture of repetitive sounds and constant sounds as well as one 'one off' / highlight.

This really helped us put together our next composition, which we are going to further develop for our performance:
Flat Mates input:

Once I got home I decided to get a few of my flatmates to draw the sounds they heard when listening to my noise-making. I found this interesting as they were coming up with marks that I had not yet seen from other peoples drawings.











On the way home from class I recorded a ambient sound as it seemed to keep repeating as well as being and odd alarm:
alarms

No comments:

Post a Comment