Saturday 8 March 2014


Listening exercises, recording sounds from the environment:

Sitting on the edge of campus, under a tree quite close to the main road.

1st Time Listening
-Buzzing echo
-Squeaking of brakes -vehicles
-Bicycle chain clicking
-The patter and thumping of someone running
-Rattle
-Chattering
-Jingling
-Loud and soft voices

The list above, was written after the 5 minute listening exercise.

I found that the longer I was sitting there with my eyes closed the more layers of different sounds / noises I could hear. The buzzing echo in particular was one that started off very faint and once I found myself tuning into it, it took over and that was basically all I could hear for the duration of the exercise.

out-side-sounds - Recording of what I was hearing (phone)


2nd Time Listening - (through recording off phone)
-Birds - constant
-Hum of vehicles
-Rumble of a motorbike? - comes and goes - loud and soft
-saw? - road and building work
-hiss - busses stopping and opening doors
-ringtone
-breathing
-voices
-loud foot steps
-airplane? - very loud
-helicopter
-rattling
-braking sound - squeaking
-city hum
-grumble
-general city hum almost sounds like the ocean
-alarm

This second time listening through the recording on my phone was largely different, not only because i physically wasn't there but also because there were a few other sounds that i did not hear the first time round. I was very surprised that I did not note down the constant sound of the birds or even the very loud sound that the helicopter made when it flew over head, as well as the hiss of the busses and the braked to stop and the buss stop and lights.


No comments:

Post a Comment